Sunday, January 24, 2010

Spiraling Through Sunday

This morning, I was waiting for a ride (since I am in the US and don't have my own vehicle, but that's another story) to take me to church. The time had been set for pick-up at 8:30, but there was no "hooting" of a horn, no ringing of the doorbell. I was apprehensive. I don't know the driver well. I was wondering, "Is this person dependable? Do I need to call my contact at the church and explain?" Many questions rolled through my thoughts. In the process of waiting, I began to straighten my room. I sorted receipts, put shoes and clothing away, threw away trash and WAITED. Waited. Finally, I called the cell phone number I had been given. No answer. Oh. Now, there's a problem. Has there perhaps been an accident? Is this person really coming to pick me up?
The room was all arranged, as it should be. Half an hour late. I called the cell phone again. Still no answer. I'm really concerned. Where is this person?
At 9:05, I heard a car pull up by the mailbox outside. My new friend jumped out, rang the doorbell. I grabbed my bag and ran out the door.

You know, sometimes, things are not like we think they are. It turned out that the problem of her lateness rested squarely on my shoulders. I had given her an incorrect house number. She had been driving around the block, knocking on doors, asking for me, for the entire time I had been waiting.

Can I learn anything from this experience? I don't want to learn anything today. Well, yes. I can learn this: Sometimes while we are just about fuming, or we are worried sick about some situation, we need to stop and think. It's not always like it seems. Sometimes, the frustrations in our lives are a result of our own error.

I'm sorry, dear new friend. I accept my responsibility for the fact that you drove around in a looping spiral this morning. And thanks for continuing to search until you found me. But wait. Why didn't you answer the cell phone?

What? You locked it inside your friend's apartment, didn't have a key to get back in? Oh. Well, then, sometimes things just aren't what we think they are.

No comments: